HostGator and SiteGround are two of the most popular hosting companies on the market. HostGator is a company that has been around for over 15 years, but SiteGround is relatively new to the scene.
HostGator offers more features than SiteGround does, but they also have some disadvantages as well.
The HostGator price point may be too high for many people with smaller budgets, so it might be worth considering other options if your budget doesn’t allow you to pay their higher prices.
Hosting companies like Arvixe or A2 Hosting offer similar features at cheaper rates and are also worth looking into before making any decision about switching from HostGator to SiteGround.
HostGator has been around for many years, which is a sign of the legitimacy of their company. HostGator began offering services in 2002, and by 2008 they had over 300,000 customers.
HostGator is an Endurance International Group company, which is the parent company of HostGator and many other hosting companies like Bluehost, HostMonster, iPage Hosting, Just Host, and others.
SiteGround launched in 2004 and has been growing ever since with over 166 million dollars in funding to date for their innovative new technology.
SiteGround has some unique services that HostGator does not have, such as free domain name registration and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Hosting clients can also set up their own websites with SiteGround’s simple 1-click installer.
Advantages of SiteGround Over HostGator:
1. HostGator’s price point may be out of range for smaller budgets; SiteGround has a much lower price point ( HostGator: Basic Hosting Package $2.95/mo – 36 months, 1 Cent for 1st month – hostingonecent.com deal)
2. HostGator only offers one-click WordPress installation while SiteGround also offers Drupal, Joomla, and other popular frameworks as one-click install; HostGator’s WordPress Hosting is not as beginner-friendly because of this.
3. HostGator requires more technical expertise to make a site hosted with them work successfully, while SiteGround has the easiest 1-click installer on the market and their hosting clients don’t have to worry about any technical issues.
HostGator’s Hosting Control Panel doesn’t have as many easy-to-use features, while SiteGround focuses on the Hosting Client and offers more value for the money they spend.
4. HostGator only offers Hosting Plans that include WordPress Hosting, but SiteGround Hosting includes Hosting plans that include Drupal Hosting, Joomla Hosting, and WordPress Hosting but also other frameworks.
5. SiteGround offers a free domain registration service for their hosting clients, while HostGator does not offer this feature in any of their packages.
6. SiteGround offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for Hosting Clients, and HostGator only offers 14-days.
Disadvantages of SiteGround Over HostGator:
1. HostGator has been around longer than SiteGround and this is an advantage because HostGator likely has more experience with Hosting Clients’ needs and are better able to serve Hosting Clients’ Hosting needs.
2. HostGator Hosting is more flexible than SiteGround Hosting because HostGator Hosting provides Hosting Clients with Hosting Plans that include WordPress Hosting, but SiteGround does not provide any Hosting Plans that include Drupal Hosting or Joomla Hosting.
3. The support offered by both companies is similar in quality, but HostGator Hosting offers a better Hosting control panel to Hosting Clients than SiteGround does.
HostGator Hosting provides Hosting Clients with more easy-to-use features and HostGator Hosting’s Knowledgebase is extensive, which makes it easier for HostGator Support to answer questions.
4. HostGator Hosting has 24/7 Phone and Email Support for Hosting Clients, while SiteGround Hosting only offers email support during the hours of 12 pm-10 pm Monday through Friday (4.5 days a week).
HostGator Hosting also has extensive Knowledgebase that SiteGround Hosting does not have.
HostGator Hosting has this feature because HostGator Hosting is a more established Hosting company and offers Hosting packages that include WordPress Hosting, but SiteGround does not have this in any of their plans.
5. HostGator Hosting provides Hosting Clients with options for Shared, VPS, WordPress, and Dedicated Hosting which SiteGround Hosting does not offer HostGator Hosting.
HostGator Hosting has a wider variety of Hosting Plans than SiteGround and HostGator Hosting offers more features for the price point their Hosting Clients pay, such as unlimited disk space on all WordPress Shared Hosting plans.
HostGator Hosting is a more well-known Hosting company than SiteGround Hosting but HostGator Hosting’s pricing point is out of range for some Hosting Clients.
SiteGround Hosting provides Hosting Clients with a better overall package when it comes to value and features, which makes them the top contender against HostGator Hosting.